Friday, October 17, 2008

Rudy A Picture For Life

I have had the recent pleasure of attending a Monday night men's Bible study at one of the local churches here in Alabama. It has been a wonderful experience thus far. Before the lesson and small group questions are presented they show short movie clips to give a good example of what the subject is for that evening. They showed a clip from the great football movie "RUDY." The clip showed Rudy sitting on the bench at the train station waiting for his train to Notre Dame.
His father tells him a heart breaking story about how his father wanted to be a dairy farmer, but because of disease all of his cattle died, and because of the great depression he couldn't sell the land finally one day the family woke up and he was gone. The family had to split up and live with relatives. His father looked and Rudy and said, "Chasing a stupid dream only brings you and everyone around you heart-ache. Notre Dame is for rich kids, smart kids, great athletes. Your a Rudiger... not that there is anything wrong with that you can have a nice life..." His father goes on to tell him that his brothers Phil and Andrew (those are probably incorrect but just stay with me!) are going up in factory work and if he would go to work with them... before he can finish his sentence Rudy looks at him and says, "I don't want to be Phil or Andrew." He then gets up and walks away. Now the thought that hit me is not the point that the Bible study made.
I thought to myself the world wants to tell us as Christians what is acceptable, what is okay, they lay out for us what we should strive for in our spiritual lives! When are we going to say, I don't want to be your kind of Christian, I'm gonna be God's child. What would happen to us if we would look Satan in the face and say, I hear you telling me who and what I am, But because of the blood of Jesus Christ I don't have to be that way anymore... I want to be like Jesus!!

3 comments:

Travelin' On said...

Awesome post! Good writing and such a powerful story. Yes, that is the right attitude when the enemy tries to discourage us and bombard our thoughts with negativity.
This sounds like the kind of post that would get a "couple of laps" at your childhood church. LOL
I love you and your family!

Fred Alton said...

That is a wonderful story. I'm proud of you, T.J., because you show the love of Christ through your life.

Favorite One said...

Sorry to be so behind on my reading/catching up! I almost missed a great story - good thing I read it before the next post!

Sometimes we do tend to "settle" in life. I often wonder "what if..." but I know I have to move forward from today & strive to be the best princess of the King that I can be!

Love ya!